Wednesday 20 June 2012

Microwave playdough

There is no way I could have a squelchy and squidgy afternoon without playdough. I've never made it before so I had no idea how I would get on. I found an amazing microwave playdough recipe though (I'm afraid I'm not sure where I found it) and it all turned out really well. So well infact that I thought I would share it with you. 

 Ingredients
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 tbsp oil
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 cup salt
  • 1 tsp cream of tartar
  • Food colouring and glitter

I mixed up all of the ingredients apart from the food colouring and glitter in a microwavable plastic bowl. I wasn't sure what the consistency should be like but as my finished product turned out well, I presume it should look like this:





I then put the mixture into the microwave for 2 minutes and gave it a stir before putting it back in for a remaining 2 minutes. In our staffroom we have a 700w microwave so timings may vary depending on what you have.

I then shaped the mixture into balls and left it to cool for a while. Once it was cool enough to touch, I made a hole in the middle of each ball.
 I added food colouring into each ball and a little bit of glitter for some sparkle.

All that was left to do was seal the balls so that they had a pocket of food colouring and glitter in the centre. This meant that when the children started squeezing the dough, they got a colourful and sparkly surprise. I made the children wear gloves when mixing the food colouring into the dough to prevent them going home with green hands!

In the end we made cookies and cupcakes with our dough but the possibilities are endless.

No comments:

Post a Comment