Thursday 14 June 2012

First transition afternoon

Yesterday was my first transition afternoon with my new class! I had a big challenge because our new Foundation unit will be in the same room as our nursery children are in at the moment. This meant that I had to somehow make the transition aftenoon new and exciting despite being in a room they were used to!

My lucky class got to see the 'secret' new layout of the classroom as it will be in September. In reality, this was just the Interactive Whiteboard being put in a different corner of the room but the children loved it.

As this was our first session, I kept it laid back and just provided the children with some of our new resources (Numicon, magnetic letters etc), their usual toys and games and an art activity. The children all decorated a card with their name on which I will use on the back of their chair in September.

The most popular activity was definitely the Numicon; the children were in awe and loved counting the circles and making patterns.

This is the Firm Foundations Numicon Kit which I would recommend if you can get your hands on it. I didn't give the children any guidance but the mathematical language that the children were already using was amazing!

The quiet critters were also a huge success. They are slightly misshapen from being cuddled and petted but the children LOVED them.

Overall, a successful first afternoon. Now I'm going to have to think of something exciting for our next session!



No comments:

Post a Comment